Less than a day after Ms. Reona Payne was murdered at Alexander Village, allegedly at the hands of her live-in partner, former Army Captain Orwain Sandy, emerging details of her death are creating more agony rather than closure for her relatives.

Primary reports and observation notes from sources at the Georgetown Public Hospital mortuary has calculated that the body of Ms. Payne bore no less than about 14 bullet wounds, which ruptured almost every organ inside of her body.

By their guess, she died in less than two minutes, and while choking off on her own blood, which came gushing up her throat, as a result of a bullet-ruptured pair of lungs and other body organs.

For Ms. Payne, death was barbaric and swift; – a fact that would have been elusive to her lost consciousness.

But while she is no more, relatives are still trying to come to grips as to why a 32-year-old woman had to go down in such a ‘cruel and merciless’ way.

For them, not even the worst criminal in Guyana would have deserved being riddled with 14 bullets.

While close family members of the woman were reluctant to speak extensively to the Guyana Guardian this morning, they were only willing to condemn her murder, while lamenting that Reona had unconditional love for the man who is suspected of killing her, former Army Captain Orwain Sandy.

“She did love that man, eh. Now look wah he do to she”, yelled a woman who wailed in between her repetitive statement, as other family members gathered around to put the bits and pieces together at their Casareep Street, Haslington, East Coast Demerara home.

Villagers who gathered in the street from since about 6am this morning also shared their opinion of the woman’s murder, with many lamenting that it could have been avoided.

From the look of things, Ms. Payne, a mother of three children from a previous relationship, had come from a very humble beginning.

She became an inspiration for the rest of her household of mostly young women who had either dropped out of school or was struggling to have a proper education, and was, therefore, a major financial supporter of her relatives.

Now that she is dead, the dreams of many others that were relying on her for support is now almost shattered, – a fact that was pointed out by other villagers.

While not painting Ms. Payne as a saint, they told this publication that she was a great person who always looks out for her relatives and those from the community in which she grew up.

As such, all that they can do now is simply mount up some tents, keep a nightly street wake, and celebrate her life.

For them, that is what she would have wanted.