London, United Kingdom; – An overseas-based Guyanese woman who thought that she had met the man of her dreams while holidaying here a few years ago, is now in a state of despair after realizing that the man whom she had literally emptied her bank account to support, does not legally exist.

The 47-Year-old woman who is based in the United Kingdom told the Guyana Guardian at her home in Croydon, that she is still in a state of shock, and is still ashamed to face the reality of what had happened to her.

According to the distraught woman, she had just gone through a terrible divorce in late 2015, and was suffering from a nervous breakdown when her counselor advised that she should take a vacation and pull her life back together.

Heeding the advice, the woman relates that she decided to return to Guyana the next year to spend some time with relatives whom she had not seen in more than a decade.

During her stay, and while on an outing with a female relative, she met a younger man at a popular nightclub in Georgetown who made her feel comfortable and attractive, as he kept complimenting her and basically kept his eyes fixed on her person.

The man who gave his age as 34, told her that he was a medical doctor on a United Nations outreach program in Guyana, but hails from Nigeria.

After exchanging numbers for WhatsApp communication and later agreeing to connect on Facebook, she explained that communication between the man who identified himself as Dr. Quasim Obaya became intense.

“His Facebook page had a lot of photos of him in his medical gear around a hospital and so on, hence I had no doubt about his claims about being a doctor. I believed him 100%” she stressed.

She added that she was so flattered by the man’s continued supposed obsession with her 47-Year-old body that she became sexually involved with the individual a week before she left Guyana.

Upon her return to England, she maintained communication with the man, who asked within the first two months for them to become engaged with plans to get married.

The woman said for the first time in many years she felt wanted and loved by someone, and found comfort in the young man’s urging, leading her to agree, without any further thought.

With him asking for the occasion to be private, she acquiesced to his request for them to meet in Suriname a month later, where she paid all of the expenses.

Being engaged with plans to be married again to a professional, the woman said she was madly in love with life again, in as much that she became desperate for her new partner to join her in England.
But after he had agreed that they should start the visa process, and about a week later, their plans were jolted when he called and explained that one of his parents had died and he must travel back to Nigeria urgently.

Upon his return to Nigeria, she said that her partner seemed depressed and hurt based upon their WhatsApp exchanges.

When she pressed him for answers, the man explained that his dead father had caused him to sign a loan agreement several months before, and which amounted to around £50,000 (British Pounds); an amount he did not have.

Moreover, he claimed that his passport has been seized, and he can no longer leave Nigeria until he settles the debt.

Wanting to help her husband-to-be out but being a little apprehensive, she traveled to Nigeria with his consent, and met her partner again along with three mature individuals and one younger person whom he identified as relatives that had (supposedly) traveled from afar to come and meet her in Lagos.

They all confirmed the man’s story about the debt, and even took her to an immigration office where a man there (and who seemed to be working there) explained that her partner cannot have his passport returned, and may most likely be sent to jail.

After a five day stay, she claimed that she left £8,000 with her hubby to start the repayment, and then returned to the UK from where she sent a further £34,000 via seven separate money transfers, because that was all that she had in her account.

Drained out of her savings, she told her partner that she cannot send any more money anytime soon, and urged him to speak to his creditor and ask for some more time.

However, this supposedly angered the man who insisted that she had left him in a terrible position.

As such, she borrowed a further £4,000 from relatives, and took another £2,000 from a pawnshop, all of which she sent to the man that was supposed to marry her.

In total, the woman said she had given her then partner at least £48,000 plus other smaller amounts that she had sent to him personally for minor funeral expenses, prior.

Certain that she couldn’t send anything more for the next few weeks, the Guyana-born woman said that her Nigerian partner began to express disappointment in her, while indicating that he needs to review whether he can actually marry her.

Thereafter, and without any warning, the man deleted his Facebook profile and apparently discarded the WhatsApp number that he was using.

Naturally, this development sent the woman into a further state of depression, resulting in her having to be hospitalized at a psychiatric facility outside London for a few weeks, and until she was released in November 2016 under the guidance of her counselor.

And despite her efforts, and that of a private investigator, she cannot locate the man, and ironically never stored a photo of him from his social media profile.

But with the help of Nigerian authorities, she was able to confirm that the man’s identity was fake, and that his entire claim about being a medical doctor was also fake.

Nonetheless, investigators may be much closer to identify him, than was previously thought.

And even though she does not expect to get any of her money back, she is certain that justice will eventually be served.

She is now urging women to be more vigilant when it comes to online relationships and to refrain from measuring a person based upon their social media profile, since it does not necessarily reflect the true personality and even the identity of the person on a profile.